The remains of the estate (arabic munya ) known as the Munyat al-Rummaniya provide the best surviving physical evidence for the extensive zone of luxurious properties that developed in the countryside around Cordoba between the 8th and 11th centuries. The Munyat al-Rummaniya was probably constructed around 965-66 for Durri al-Saghrir, a court official of the Umayyad caliph al-Hakam II (r. 961-976), to whom Durri presented the property as a gift in 973.
The estate takes its name from a nearby stream known as the Wadi al-Rumman, or River of the Pomegranate, and is located about 3 km west of the palatine city of Madinat al-Zahra, with which it shares similarities in siting and conception. Like Madinat al-Zahra, the Munyat al-Rummaniya is located at the foot of the Sierra Morena mountain range and is composed of a series of walled terraces. The remains of buildings and a monumental pool are located on the uppermost terrace, which affords views of the lower terraces and the landscape beyond. The substantial stone retaining walls that support the terraces, the pool, and connections to an aqueduct that fed the property are visible on the site.
Ruggles, D.F. 2000. Gardens, Landscape, and Vision in the Palaces of Islamic Spain. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press. p. 111-118.
Velazquez Bosco, Ricardo. 1912. Arte del califato de Cordoba: Medina Azzahra y Alamiriya, por d. Madrid, Imprenta artistica de J. Blass y cia.