Displaying a mixture of classical Empire and indigenous Indonesian styles, the building was erected in stages between 1911 and 1937. Its restoration was a pilot conservation project for Bank Indonesia, which owns a number of historic premises. A maximum-retention, minimum-intervention approach was adopted. Extensive research and analysis was carried out to identify structural problems and original materials. Identical materials and techniques were used for the conservation work, creating business opportunities for traditional craftsmen and supporting the transfer of skills to a new generation. The process was fully recorded through descriptions, photographs and technical drawings, enabling it to be used as a reference point for future projects.