In the second half of the nineteenth century, Muslim communities from the Indian subcontinent began to build mosques in Stone Town. The Aga Khan Mosque, or Ismaili Jamatkhana, is the earliest Shi'a mosque in Zanzibar, built in Forodhani as early as 1838/1254 AH. It was substantially rebuilt and expanded in 1905. The mosque has carved wooden Gujarati-style entrance doors with coffered panels.
Siravo, Francesco. Zanzibar: a plan for the historic stone town, 46-47. Geneva: Aga Khan Trust for Culture, 1996.