Construction on the Antioch Museum, designed by Michel Ecochard, began in 1933/1352 AH when the region was still part of Syria under colonial rule. It opened in 1939/1358 AH, the year Hatay Province was integrated into Turkey.
It was reopened as the Hatay Arkeoloji Müzesi (Hatay Archology Museum) on June 23, 1948/Sha'ban 15, 1367 AH. An additional building was constructed in in the early 1970s, and in 2000, the number of exhibition halls was increased from five to eight. The foundation for a new museum was laid in May 2011, with work scheduled to be completed in the summer of 2013.