From 1904-12 the Galeries de France department store was built based on Henri Petit’s designs, in the Neo-Moorish style promulgated by Jonnart, the Governor. Petit designed a 4-5 storey structure using the technologie Eiffel in a layout typical of that era, with two atria. He decorated both the exterior and the interior with local motifs. In 2005, after years of abandonment, this cultural heritage site was renovated for use as a museum. Three major architectural interventions took place: the ground floor was lowered, the monumental staircase was reassembled and the entire building was painted white, inside and out.
Source: Aga Khan Trust for Culture
Musée public national d’art moderne et contemporain d’Alger (Variant)
National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (Variant)