This house dates from 1905 and the architect bought it in a state of disrepair with later concrete additions, which he stripped out. Minimal interventions have created a family home. A new structural ‘belt’ in the rooms either side of the sitting room and a mezzanine floor over the bathroom and children’s bedrooms complete the structural reinforcement. Local craftsmen were given two years to restore the tiling, stonework and woodwork including the painstaking removal of all internal plaster. Reclaimed floor tiles have been used throughout. The landscaping is more contemporary, with a pool area and a new retaining wall enhanced by steel reliefs and LED lighting.