At the heart of the Bandara House is a fifteenth-century Mamluk reception hall. Originally open, this space was domed when it was incorporated into Aleppo’s famous Jumbulat Palace in 1550, then over the years was subdivided and adapted following a large earthquake in 1822, gradually falling into disrepair. This preservation project respects the building’s evolution. Careful surveys have dated the various elements, including medieval decorated plaster, and these are clearly identified in the restoration. Traditional materials and techniques are used throughout and new elements introduced only when essential. The owner intends to acquire and restore the rest of the palace.