Recipient of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture in 1980.
Qatar's old Amiri palace was reconstructed to form the nucleus of the museum. The palace complex consists of three courtyard houses, two reception halls and various service quarters, all within a walled enclosure. A two-storey arcaded structure at the centre of the compound, built in 1918, dominates the site. Added is a new three-level Museum of State that joins the north wall of the complex and completes the courtyard. The new building is partially below grade to reduce its scale. The arcaded façade is proportioned to echo the older buildings. Landscaping and a network of paths have transformed the compound into a lush garden, welcome in the inhospitable climate. The jury noted that "in a period of rapid social and economic change, when the widespread and indiscriminate destruction of the architectural heritage has broken all continuity with the past, the preservation, enhancement and adaptation to a new public use of this important group is a noteworthy achievement."