Tamansari Water Castle was built in 1758. For more than a century it served as both defensive complex and royal pleasure grounds, with 18 different gardens, all organised around water. For another century, following the earthquake of 1856, the complex was disused. The third phase in its life - its revival as a tourist destination - began in 1970, with the restoration of five structures. The present project continues this work, through landscaping (to recreate the original 'perfume garden' ambience), the reactivation of four pools, the renovation of structures such as the Sultan's tower and perimeter walls, and the installation of M&E equipment.