Restored in 1610, the mosque of Al-Naqah is the oldest extant in Tripoli. The mosque is associated with founding stories dating to the conquest of Libya by Amr Ibn al-As (642) and also a Fatimid Caliph, al -Mu'izz. Both stories involve the funds for the construction of the mosque being presented on a camel (naqah), hence its name.
This hypostyle mosque has a sanctuary covered with 42 small domes rising over 36 columns. Some columns and capitals are reused from Roman buildings, and few are the same, lending a heterogeneous feel to the interior. It is roughly square, with the qibla wall (southeast) 44 m long and the adjacent northeast wall 19 m long.
Next to the sanctuary is a square, one-story sahn (courtyard) with a fountain in the middle. There is a riwaq (colonnade) on each side, originally doubled also on the qibla side (southeast) but destroyed in World War II. A square (5.6 m) crenellated minaret rises along the northeast wall of the sanctuary.
Islamic art and architecture in Libya. 1976. London: Libyan General Committee for Participation in the World of Islam Festival, 72.
El-Ballush, Ali Masud. 1979. A history of Libyan Mosque Architecture during the Ottoman and Karamanli Period: 1551-1911. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Ph.D. 489.
Warfelli, Muhammad. 1976. The Old City of Tripoli. Art and Archaeology Research Papers April: 2-18.