The present mosque was erected in 1398 and had since undergone three restorations. The mosque was built on a long, rectangular site in the densely populated, residential area. The complex is based on a symmetrical, linear plan composed by five courtyards along the east-west axis. Each courtyard is designed as an independent space and is separated from the others by walls and gateways. The mosque rests on stone or brick foundations. Structural walls are of brick, while timber columns rest on stone bases. The typical roofs are timber framed. The conservation programme began with the removal of structures that housed activities irrelevant to the mosque and that obscured the courtyard organisation. The original function of some spaces was changed: classrooms, for example, have been transformed into the reception room.