The last of the series of 'frame' houses was in Thurston Road, designed by Bawa in 1959 for Upali Wijewardene, a wealthy newspaper proprietor and politician. In this case the exposed concrete frame was painted black while the infill panels were of white-painted brickwork. Much of the ground floor was given over to service spaces and offices, and the living accommodation was situated at first floor level with direct access to the upper roof terraces. The exposed concrete frames continued above the second floor parapet to support pergolas and loggias. The clients later extended the house upwards to incorporate a rooftop swimming pool and helicopter pad.
Source: Robson, David. 2002. Geoffrey Bawa: The Complete Works. London: Thames & Hudson, p. 65.