Bab al-Faraj (Gate of Deliverance) or Bab al-Faradis is located to the north of the old city. It was built by al-Zaher Ghazi and reopened later by al-Nasir Yusuf II. In 1904 it was torn down with a portion of the surrounding fabric to become a public square known by the same name. It is now a major junction of the traffic flow in and out of the old city to the extra-mural areas. The Bab-al-Faraj reconstruction project is one of the first preservation efforts in Aleppo. It started in 1978 and is still underway. The remains of the original gate were recently uncovered and are several meters under street level. The gate will be the focus in an archeological park that is part of the modern civic programs in the leveled area.
Tabbaa, Yasser, 1997, Constructions of Power and Piety in Medieval Aleppo, The Pennsylvania State University Press, p. 20.