On the north side of the main palace of the haram sara is an extension of the upper storey commonly referred to as the Hawa Mahal. Screened on all sides by jaalis that ensured privacy and helped keep the interior cool, this space extended further north in the form of a viaduct, 8.23 meters tall and supported on arches.
Originally entirely screened, this viaduct ran from the haram sara to the Hathi Pol (Elephant Gate), and beyond to the Hiran Minar, a watchtower to the northwest of the Hathi Pol. Another, destroyed viaduct ran from the haram sara to the Daulat Khana, crossing the courtyard south of the Sonahra Makan to join the colonnades running west along the Anup Talao court. Through it, the Emperor had easy and private access from his khwabgah to every palace in the haram sara. Sources:
Koch, Ebba. "Mughal Palace Gardens from Babur to Shah Jahan, 1526-1648." Muqarnas XIV (1997): 146.
Nath, R. Fatehpur Sikri and its Monuments, 21. Agra: The Historical Research Documentation Programme, 2000.
Rizvi, Saiyid Athar Abbas. Fathpur-Sikri, 57. Bombay: D. B. Taraporevala Sons, 1975.