The Khan Mirjan is one of the most interesting examples of caravanserai to be found in Iraq. Located in Baghdad's old centre, it was constructed in the 14th Century during the rule of Sala'rit Sultan Awise. Conservation work began as early as 1936, but up till the most recent modifications this entailed only restoration programmes. The decision to change the use of the Khan into that of a restaurant was initiated by the Ministry of Culture and involved the addition of new facilities such as kitchen, storage, restrooms, ect...The building is organised in a rectangular plan around a large, covered, vaulted, central court. At gound level 22 rooms surround the central space and at the upper level 23 rooms have access from a gallery overlooking the central court. This gallery is supported by a masonry bracket. The roof consists of series of pointed arches regularly spaced at 3.2 metres. The area between the arches is recessed and steps in, following the curve of the vault. These steps correspond, on the exterior, to a series of vaulted dormer windows on either side of the vault.
Major work included: Elimination of the ground water by injection of cement grout into floor vaults and the drilling of diagonal wells into walls and foundations; Reconstruction of the front façade; Repair work to brick arches; and Re-paving of floors with brick pavers.