The Citadel of Cairo was built by a lieutenant of the Ayyubid ruler Salah al-Din between 1176-1183 as a royal residence and military barracks. Over the course of its long history as the seat of government for the Ayyubid, Mamluk, Ottoman, and Khedival rulers of Egypt from the thirteenth to the nineteenth centuries, the Citadel has been reorganized and enlarged in six major stages.
Among its extant monuments, the 13th/14th c. hypostyle mosque of al-Nasir Muhammad from the Early Bahri Mamluk period, the 16th c. Mosque of Suleyman Pasha, first of the Citadel's Ottoman-style mosques, and the 19th c. Mosque of Muhammad 'Ali al-Kabir indicate the rich chronological and stylistic spectrum of architecture at the Citadel.
Behrens-Abouseif, Doris. Islamic Architecture in Cairo: An Introduction., 66. Leiden; New York: E.J. Brill, 1989.
Fathy, Hassan. The Story Of The Mashrabiyya. 1984. Hassan Fathy Archives. Aga Khan Trust for Culture. Geneva, Switzerland.
This publication is from the literary works of Hassan Fathy. 'The Story Of The Mashrabiyya' is a fictional play in which Hassan Fathy leads the reader to follow the events surrounding a wooden window grille (mashrabiyya) dumped in one of the corners of an antique furniture shop. The grille eventually finds a new home in a building. The play clearly shadows Fathy's architectural career, which clearly emphasized the preservation of traditional methods in modern architecture.