Murad Pasha Mosque, located in the Suwayqa district, is known today as the Naqshibandi mosque. The patron, Murad Pasha, governor (wali) of Damascus erected the mosque in 1568. In accordance with the hypostyle mosque archetype, the sahn with its large fountain dominates the design. A prominent minaret accents the building. The courtyard's perimeter is divided into cells that serve as residential rooms. The mausoleum housing Murad Pasha's grave is positioned at the corner of the building. The walls are clad with elaborateqashani tile panels.
Rihawi, Abdul Qader. 1979. Arabic Islamic Architecture in Syria. Damascus: Ministry of Culture and National Heritage. 226.