Madrasa al-Sahibiyya is a historic mosque-madrasa complex located in Aleppo’s
Islamic city immediately east of the Khan al-Wazir on a small square adjoining
the large arterial street that runs north of the Great Mosque (Shari’ al-Jami’
al-Umawi). The madrasa was originally constructed in 1363-1364/765 AH under the
command of Ahmad ibn Ya’qub ibn al-Sahib. Today it is also known as Jami’ al-Fistuq
(The Pistachio Mosque).
entrance to the complex consists of a large portal vaulted with muqarnas toward
the west end of the north side of the building, which faces a small square. The
north façade is also notable for several carved rectangular plaques with geometric
the complex, one emerges onto the north side of a square courtyard, the
opposite end of which is occupied by an iwan. On the east side of this
courtyard is the entrance to a small domed chamber with a mihrab which gives
onto the larger domed prayer hall at the east end of the complex.
Herzfeld, Ernst. “Matériaux pour un corpus inscriptionum arabicarum. Part 2: Syrie du nord. Inscriptions et monuments d’Alep, vol. 1, pt. 2, p. 340–42. 2 vols. in 3 parts. Cairo: Institut Français d’archéologie orientale, 1954-1956.
al-Homsi, Fayez. Old Aleppo, 48. Damascus: Ministry of
Culture and National Heritage Publishing, 1983.