The Mosque known today as Jami’
al-Rumi is located in the Sahat Bizza neighborhood of Aleppo within the
Saffahiyya Quarter, south of the citadel and east of Bab Qinnasrin. It is also
known as the Mosque of Mankalibugha (Jami’ Mankalibugha) after the Mamluk
governor of Aleppo who commissioned its construction. A foundation inscription in 1367/ 769 AH.
The Mosque is known for its
minaret, which rises from a square base surmounted by an octagonal foot. The shaft
of the minaret is round. A large muqarnas-vaulted portal
serves as the mosque’s main entryway, leading onto a central courtyard.
Herzfeld, Ernst. Matériaux Pour Un Corpus Inscriptionum Arabicarum. Part 2: Syrie Du Nord. Inscriptions et Monuments d’Alep, vol. 1, pt. 2, pp. 344–45. 2 vols. in 3 parts. Cairo: Institut Français d’archéologie orientale, 1954-1956.
Al-Homsi, Fayez. Old Aleppo, 38. Damascus: Ministry of Culture and National Heritage Publishing, 1983.
Meinecke, Michael. Die Mamlukische Architektur in Ägypten und Syrien (648/1250 bis 923/1517),1:68, 2:236. 2 vols. Glückstadt: Verlag J. J. Augustin, 1992.