Now functioning as the Al-Halawiyya madrasa, this building that dates to the 5th century was originally Aleppo's great Byzantine cathedral, and was subsequently converted to a mosque in 1123 during the reign of Balak Ibn Bahram Ibn Ourtoq. The building encompasses a small courtyard and the original chapel with its eight large corinthian columns. These columns resemble ones at the Sam'an Cathedral outside Aleppo. The symmetry of the space allowed a relatively easy transformation from chapel to majid. The mosque located across from the Great mosque is now used as a madrasa for the followers of in 1149 Hanifite school during the reign of Nur al-din al-Zangi.