The mosque was built during the reign of Aurangzeb (r. 1657-1701), by his second daughter Zinat al-Nisa. It stands in Shahjahanabad, south of the Red Fort and overlooking the river Jumna. It is built on a high plinth, and is distinguished by its red and white sriped domes, which rest on constricted drums. The façade is made up of cusped entrance arches on slender piers.
Hambly, Gavin, 1970. Cités de L'Inde Moghole Editions Albin Michel Paris.
Asher, Catherine. 1992. The New Cambridge History of India: Architecture of Mughal India. Cambridge University Press, 266-7.