Located on the Sabarmati River, Ahmadabad was founded in 1411/814 AH by the Muslim Sultan Ahmad Shah, the ruler of Gujarat. Newly proclaimed, the ruler felt vulnerable in the capital of Anahilvada-Patan, and moved his court to Ashaval, a Hindu settlement that supported him, and which he renamed Ahmadabad, after himself.
The new capital of Gujarat developed rapidly with the palace as the nucleus, encircled by a commercial districts. The Bhadra Fort represents the footprint of the original city. The nobility settled outside the city limit, forming their individual settlements. These settlements, known as puras, were named after their respective founders with the suffix of 'ganj' attached, like Nurganj or Muradganj.
Ahmadabad became a part of the Mughal Empire in 1572/980 AH under Emperor Akbar. In 1817/1232 AH, the British took over and the East India Company made it the military and administrative center of Gujarat. No longer the capital of Gujarat in post-Independence India, Ahmadabad is still a principal city with a thriving cotton industry earning it the title of 'Textile City'. Architecturally, the city boasts some of the most interesting examples of fifteenth century Gujarati style. The Jami Masjid and the Mausoleum of Ahmad Shah are an adaptation of indigenous Hindu and Jain architecture; the Siddi Saiyad's Mosque is famous for its exquisite yellow stone latticework, the Rani Sipri's mosque is an elegant dedication to Sultan Mahmud Begara's Hindu wife.
Modern Ahmadabad is spreading west of the Sabarmati River. This portion of the city plays host to the work of two famous architects, Le Corbusier and Louis Kahn. Sanskar Kendra, Mill Owners' Association building and the private residences of Sarabhai and Shodhan were designed by Le Corbusier, while the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) by Louis Kahn is one of the top college for business studies.
Davies, Philip. The Penguin Guide to the Monuments of India - Volume 2: Islamic, Rajput, European. London: The Penguin Group, 1989.
R.N. Mehta and Rasesh Jamindar. "Urban Context." In Ahmadabad, edited by George Michell and Snehal Shah, 1. Bombay: Marg Publications, 1998.
DK Eyewitness Travel Guides: India London: Dorling Kindersley Limited, 2002.
The Hasan Muhammad Chishti Masjid is located to the northwest of
the historic city center of Ahmedabad in the neighborhood of Shahpur. It’s namesake is Qutb al-Awliya’ Shaykh Hasan Muhammad Chishti, a
spiritual leader of the Sufi Chishtiyya order of local standing. An inscription
over the mihrab dates the building to 1565-1566/973 AH.
The mosque is rectangular in form, closed on three sides and
open on its east side to a court adjoining the building. The eight pillars that support the façade are spanned by nine arches. A second story, open to the outside, rises above the central five arches of the facade. On either end of the façade are large, ornate buttresses
that were presumably intended to be the bases of minarets that were never built
above the level of the first story.
The interior is a
pillared prayer hall with a large dome elevated above the center of the room.
This dome is supported on twelve pillars. One aisle separates the domed bay
from the qibla wall and the front of the hall, and to either side of the dome
are three aisles between it and the side walls.
Burgess, James. The Muhammadan Architecture of Ahmadabad. Part II, 44. Archaeological Survey of Western India, Vol. 8. London: W. Griggs and Sons, 1905.
Hasan Muhammad Chisti Masjid (Alternate transliteration)
Hassan Mohammad Chishti Masjid (Alternate transliteration)
Hassan Mohammad Chisti Masjid (Alternate transliteration)