The Madrase Khan is a school of religious education first established in 1771. The original building was arranged around a courtyard attached to the bazaar in Yazd. A second courtyard extension was added some years later and the final phase was completed in the 1970s. The considered formal planning of the school has supported its longevity but recent additions and disrepair had seriously undermined its functional performance. The project comprised the elimination of incongruent additions and conservation of the original fabric, creating a modern learning environment that does not compromise its architectural heritage.