Constructed in 1612 and enlarged in 1794 under the Ottoman Pasha Hassan, the Katshawa Mosque was converted to a cathedral (Cathedrale St. Philippe) under French rule in 1845. Local anecdote attributes its name to the Turkish for "goat," in reference to a livestock market formerly located nearby. The presence of Roman structures under the mosque has been ascertained, and historians contend that the mosque originally replaced an eleventh-century church.
Dokali, Rachid. Les mosquées de la période turque à Alger. Algiers: SNED. c. 1974.
Ministry of Information and Culture, Algeria, with M. Dokali and M. Bourouiba. Les mosquées en Algérie. Algiers: SNED. 1974.