The intervention consisted of the restoration and partial reconstruction of a caravanserai originally built in the centre of Ma'arat al-Nu'man in 1565.
This one-storey, flat-roofed building is square in plan with a smaller, rectangular extension to the west. It has a large central square courtyard with a house for the poor situated in the middle and a mosque immediately behind. An arcade, around the courtyard perimeter separates it from the surrounding rooms and halls. The complex also comprises public health baths, a bakery and a market. The main entrance is marked by a portal, located to the south.