al-Bazzaziyya, also known as al-Bazzaz Mosque, is located in the Jalloum neighborhood
of Aleppo on the street known as Zuqaq Khan al-Bayd. It was constructed in
1388/790 AH as part of a waqf.
The building is oriented
around a central courtyard that takes the form of an irregular square. The main
entrance is through a muqarnas portal on the east side which leads to the
courtyard through a corridor. On the south and west sides of the courtyard are
prayer halls. A garden and several smaller rooms border the courtyard on the
north side. The tomb of Muhammad
al-Bazzaz is located in the northeast corner of the complex.
Gaube, Heinz and Eugin
Wirth. Aleppo: Historische und geographische Beiträge zur baulichen Gestaltung,
zur sozialen Organisation und zur wirtschaftlichen Dynamik einer
vordedrasiatischen Fernhandelsmetropole, 345 (cat. 11). Weisbaden: Dr. Ludwig