Maristan al-Qaymari is situated along the main street of the Salihiye quarter, to the north of the walled city of Damascus. It was built between 1248 and 1258 by Sayf al-Din Yusef, a member of the Kurdish royal family al-Qaymari who welcomed the Mamluks to Damascus during the Mongol invasion in 1260. Its plan is modeled on the Bimaristan of Nur al-Din, built in 1154 within the city walls.
The building is accessed from the north through a monumental portal, built of alternating courses of black and white stones. The portal arch features interlocking white and black voussoirs with curved profiles, and the portal niche is flanked by two pairs of colonettes.
Inside, the maristan is square in plan. Its central courtyard opens into an iwan to the south and gives access to rectangular rooms to the east and west. The iwan vault features decorative motifs and inscriptions carved into plaster. Two large medallions of floral arabesques are placed on its side walls. An arched mihrab niche adorned with carved plaster occupies its southern wall, along with three windows topped by a colored glass rosette.
Ecochard, Michel. La Restauration des monuments islamiques en Syrie. s.n. ca. 1943.
An illustrated survey of restoration work done on Islamic monuments in Syria between 1935 and 1942. The document includes a chronological narrative and summary (pp. 5-7) and a list of monuments restored or in the process of being restored while Henri Seyrig was Director of the Antiquities Service (p. 8). The remainder of the document is divided into sections illustrated with drawing and photos by Michel Ecochard, on the following topics: - minarets, pp. 9-12 - cupolas, pp. 13-16 - interiors, pp. 17-20 - scaffoldings pp. 21-24 - selected monuments pp. 25-28