The Bab al-Wastani was built facing the mosque of Sultan Hasan by the amir Radwan Katkhuda al-Jalfi shortly before his death in 1754 on the site of a previous Mamluk gate, to provide access to the lower enclosure.
The interior facade features representations in relief of hybrid leonine creatures on the spandrels bracketing the arch. Otherwise, this facade was renovated in a neo-Gothic style during the Khedival period, at the time the exterior double ramp and balustrade in similar style was constructed.
Behrens-Abouseif, Doris. "The 'Abd al-Rahman Katkhuda Style in 18th century Cairo." Annales Islamologiques 26 (1992): 117-126.