The Kamiliyya Madrasa was built between 1230-37 by Fatima Khantun daughter of al-Malik al-Kamil. Its plan is a development of the plan of the Shadbakhtikiyya Madrasa, with an increase in size and craftsmanship.
The madrasa is made of two floors. The first is a tripartite prayer hall facing the northern iwan and two mausoleums flanking either side of the prayer hall. These elements open to a courtyard space through an arcade of piers. The second floor contains a small number of rooms for the students.