The Forodhani Gardens are situated along the seafront in front of the Old Fort. The gardens were laid out in 1935-1936 to celebrate the Silver Jubilees of King George V and Sultan Khalifa. There is a bandstand in the center of the site, and a white concrete arabesque arch near the sea that was erected in 1956 for the visit of Princess Margaret.
The garden was called Jubilee Gardens until the 1964 Revolution. "Forodhani" means "customs," and the gardens are close to the original Zanzibar Customs House. The Aga Khan Historic Cities Programrestored the gardens from 2002-2009. The original layout was retained, and upgrades such as a new seawall, cafes, a playground and plantings were added.