The building is a key element in the evolution of Kadoorie’s agricultural school, established in 1930, into the technical university it has become today, creating an appropriate image through its emphasis on tradition and simplicity of design. A limited set of elements establishes a rhythm along the length of the building, broken only by major features such as the entrance. A large court at the centre introduces light and views, its steel-framed skylight adding an element of modernity. The prime material was local stone in white and red, with labour provided by local people.
Kadoorie Educational Building Presentation Panels. Courtesy of Architect. Geneva: Aga Khan Award for Architecture, 2010.
Presentation panels are drawings, images, and text graphically prepared by the architect and submitted to the Aga Khan Award for Architecture during the later round of the Award cycle. The portfolios are kept in the Aga Khan Trust for Culture Library for consultation purposes.