The Char Minar ("Four Minarets") was built in 1591/999 AH by Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah (r. 1580-1611/987-1019 AH) and is considered Hyderabad's primary monument. It is a square structure standing at the intersection of two streets leading to the four quarters of the original city, with an archway on each of its sides. The upper level has an arcaded balcony and pierced stone screen, with a mosque on the western side. Western-style clocks were added to each face in 1899/1316 AH. Each corner has a 48.77 m tall minaret topped with domed finials.