This fourteenth century khan is located approximately 24 kilometers southwest of Gaza City and almost four kilometers from the coast road that led to southern territories. Commissioned by Amir Yunis Ibn Abd Allah al-Nawruzi in 1387, as indicated by an inscription on one of the khan's facades, this limestone constructed caravanserai acted as a shelter for merchants on the caravan route. Rectangular in plan, it was buttressed at each corner with circular towers, rising two stories with residential provisions on the second story and storage space for commercial wares and animals on the ground floor. While today the original minaret of its mosque remains, most of the structure has long since decayed or been demolished.
Prag, Kay. Israel & the Palestinian Territories Blue Guide, 333. London: A & C Publishers Limited, 2002.