The Madrasa al-Mujahidiyya is situated in the north quarters of the walled of the old city of Damascus, adjacent to Bab al-Faradis, known also as Bab al-Amara. It was built by Mujahid al-Din bin Bazan bin Yammin al-Kurdu, the Governor of Damascus in 1142 under Burid rule.
The madrasa is composed of a courtyard having two iwans situated north and south and a small prayer hall to the south. The courtyard is tiled with black and white stones and has an ablution fountain in middle. Below the eastern wall, three of the Prophet's companions -- called al-Sadat -- are buried next to Mujahid al-Din, the patron of the madrasa. The prayer hall is accessed through a small doorway topped by an arched window inside the southern iwan, which has and a kufic inscription that gives the patron's name and the madrasa's date of completion. The doorway and the inscription are the only elements remaining of the original madrasa. The prayer hall now has a new mihrab and a new wooden minbar, with no major decorations.
Shihabi, K.A. Aswaq Dimashq al-Qadimah wa Mushayyadatuha al-Tarikhiyya, 171. Damascus: Ministry of Culture Publications, 1990.
Talas, Muhammad Asa'ad. Thimar al-Maqasid fi Dhikr al-Masajid, 223-246. Damascus: Institut Français de Damas, 1975.