The new town for 1000 inhabitants is located 100 kms. from Riyadh. The formerly barren site was developed in conjunction with a water-supply programme to service the future needs of Riyadh. The self-contained village is intended to house the staff and families of the groundwater treatment facilities.
The settlement provides all social, domestic, and economic needs of the residents. The perimetre of the site is serviced by vehicular roads which do not interrupt the segregated pattern of pedestrian circulation. The massing rises from single-storey garage and service buildings and two-storey houses at the boundaries of the site, to three-storey flats and schools gathered near the centre. An apex is defined by the mosque and minaret.
Response to climate and traditional domestic customs are cited as the principal design determinants. Dwellings are inwardly oriented and densely grouped in terraces, and along narrow streets to provide shade. All houses are provided with open, private courtyards; wall openings on the exterior envelopes are few and high, and are generally screened.
The architects have undertaken study of traditional Najdi architecture; reference to this vernacular is particularly evident in the central courtyard and prayer hall of the mosque where are employed triangular headed arcades and wall openings.