The elongated commemorative structure of Qubbat al-Khadr ('The Dome of al-Khadr') stands isolated from any close neighbors on the northwest corner of the Dome of the Rock terrace. Its pointed dome rests on six open arches carried by six tall and slender columns. The direction of prayer, the qibla, is marked by marble paving in the shape of a pointed arc on the ground. The building, which is partly blocked by the wall that supports it from north and west, is elevated about 50cm from terrace level and consequently is not easily accessible.
Al-Khadr (also known as al-Khidr), to whom the building is devoted, is an important figure in the Islamic tradition, mainly in the context of Jerusalem and the Haram. Al-Khadr, who is identified with the Christian St. George, is mentioned in the Koran as the companion of Moses the prophet. He is known to have the merit of protection hence many people pray to him in times of crisis. According to tradition he used to live in Jerusalem and was frequently seen praying at al-Haram al-Sharif.
Natsheh, Yusuf. 2000. "Architectural Survey". In Ottoman Jerusalem: The Living City 1517-1917. (Sylvia Auld and Robert Hillenbrand, eds.) London: Altajir World of Islam Trust II, 893-899.
Burgoyne, Michael H. 1976. "A Chronological Index to the Muslim Monuments of Jerusalem." In The Architecture of Islamic Jerusalem. Jerusalem: The British School of Archaeology in Jerusalem.