Bab Antakiyya formed one of the most important defense gates in Aleppo, protecting the city from the west. It is one of the oldest gates built due to its strategic site, and has thus seen several phases of reconstruction. The Hamdanid ruler of Aleppo Sayf-al-Dawla rebuilt the gate using its antique foundations and the Fatimids restored it during the 11th century. It went through periodical repairs and restorations until 1422. The two massive Ayyubid defense towers were built with thick stone walls into which the deep arrow slits were discreetly inserted. The gate contains the shrine of Sheikh Ali al-Rumi in the southern tower. The gate survived with both its towers still intact into modernity.
Tabbaa, Yasser. Constructions of Power and Piety in Medieval Aleppo. University Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University Press, 1997.
Ecochard, Michel. La Restauration des monuments islamiques en Syrie. s.n. ca. 1943.
An illustrated survey of restoration work done on Islamic monuments in Syria between 1935 and 1942. The document includes a chronological narrative and summary (pp. 5-7) and a list of monuments restored or in the process of being restored while Henri Seyrig was Director of the Antiquities Service (p. 8). The remainder of the document is divided into sections illustrated with drawing and photos by Michel Ecochard, on the following topics: - minarets, pp. 9-12 - cupolas, pp. 13-16 - interiors, pp. 17-20 - scaffoldings pp. 21-24 - selected monuments pp. 25-28