The tomb of Baybars al-Khayyat (an amir of Sultan al-Ghrui, not to be confused with the two sultans named Baybars who ruled Egypt) is the only remaining original part of a complex constructed by Baybars in 1515/920-921 AH. The rest of the complex, including a mosque and madrasa, was reconstructed by the Comité in 1896/1313 AH. The tomb sits at the northeast corner of the complex
The tomb has a carved chevron stone dome with an inscription band along its base and sixteen windows in the drum. The tomb chamber has its original marble mihrab and a bitumen-inlaid inscription band, but both are in poor condition.
Seton-Williams, M. J., and Peter Stocks. Egypt, 268. London: A & C Black, 1988.
Warner, Nicholas. The monuments of historic Cairo: a map and descriptive catalogue, 122. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2005.
Baybars al-Khayyat Mausoleum (Variant)
Mausoleum of Baybars al Khayyat (Variant)
Tomb of Baybars al-Khayyat (Variant)
Mosque and Tomb of Amir Baybars al-Khayyat (Variant)