The Bijou Palace, or the Qasr al-Jawhara, was first built for Muhammad 'Ali after 1812 in the southern enclosure of the Citadel.
Rebuilt after destructive fires in the 18th century, the palace combines elements of Ottoman and European palace plans, dividing the private quarters of the family from the reception areas. The ornamental program borrows heavily from European models.
Rabbat, Nasser O. 1989. "The Citadel of Cairo." (Geneva: The Aga Khan Trust for Culture).
Rabbat, Nasser. "A Brief History of Green Spaces in Cairo". 2004. Cairo: Revitalising a Historic Metropolis. (Stefano Bianca and Philip Jodidio, eds.) Turin: Umberto Allemandi & C. for Aga Khan Trust for Culture, 43-53.
This article is presented in the first section of the three-part book, entitled "Past: The Role of History".