Mohammed Fikri Benabdallah graduated from the Ecole Supérieure des Beaux-Arts de Paris in 1980. Upon returning for Morocco, he joined the architecture division at the Ministry of Urban Planning in Rabat in 1981, supervising a major architectural research program for about a decade. In 1985, he was elected Secretary General of the Association Nationale des Architectes et Urbanistes, and in 1992 he joined the Conseil Supérieur de l’Ordre des Architectes. He is also a founding member of the Comité directeur du Forum des Architectes. Between 1985 and 2002, he taught at the Ecole Nationale d’Architecture de Rabat.
Composed of a "fondouk" (caravanserai) dating from 1711, a fountain square, and a carpenter's mall, this complex was renovated following the example of other recent restoration projects in the medina. Certain walls were underpinned, floors were rebuilt, and underground sewers were restored using traditional techniques.