The Beit Al Amaan (House of Peace also known as the Peace Memorial Museum) is located on Creek Road at the southern end of Stone Town in the area called Mnazi Mmoja. It was built in 1925 by the British architect J.H. Sinclair. It is a whitewashed building with a hexagonal plan, with arabesque windows, a large central dome, and 6 smaller domes at each point of the hexagon.
The museum formerly included exhibits on elements of Zanzibar history such as slavery, archaeology, trade, explorers and missionaries, colonial history, and traditional crafts, but today nearly all exhibits have been moved to the developing museum in the House of Wonders and the building functions as a library.
Bianca, Stefano & Francesco Siravo. Zanzibar: A Plan for the Historic Stone Town, 51. Geneva: The Aga Khan Trust for Culture, 1996.
McIntyre, Chris, and Susan McIntyre. Zanzibar, 193. Chalfont St. Peter: Bradt Travel Guides, 2013.