This restoration converts nine shop-houses and a print shop constructed early in the 20th century into a 64-room hotel. Located in Kampong Glam, the Muslim cantonment created in the 1828 master plan and since designated a historic district, the complex stands in proximity to the Sultan’s Palace, the mosque and a girl’s school. A series of connections are established to these destinations through the hotel grounds, taking advantage of the courtyards, gardens, alleys and arcades associated with the shop-house typology and street layout. These spaces are landscaped to further provide natural light and ventilation to the units. The complex also demonstrates sensitivity to the restoration of the European architectural elements and Malay and Chinese decorative details.