This project provides a memorial and cemetery for the victims of the 1995 genocide in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The focal point is a semicircular memorial plateau or ‘musale’ where religious ceremonies for up to 1000 people can be performed. Enclosing the musale, a horseshoe of inclined granite slabs bears the names of the 10,000 victims. The musale also features a covered area, mihrab, minbar, ablution facilities and fountain. The surrounding land is divided into eight petal-shaped parcels, defined by granite footpaths. Here, white tombstones are gradually appearing as the victims are identified. The scheme also provides benches, lighting and careful planting.