The commercial endowment built by Ottoman Governor Kuyucu Murad Pasha (1594-1595) near the Umayyad Mosque includes a suq of forty-seven shops, a coffee-house and a khan. The income from the complex was directed to the poor of Mecca and Medina. The pasha added a bedestan to his Damascus complex in 1608, as grand vizier.
Kafesçioglu, Çigdem. 1999. ""In the Image of Rum": Ottoman Architectural Patronage in Sixteenth Century Aleppo and Damascus". In Muqarnas: An Annual on the Visual Culture of the Islamic World, XVI, 70-96.