The Takiyya-i Mu'avin al-Mulk was commissioned by Husayn Khan Mu'ini al-Ra'aya, a well-known merchant in the Kermanshah bazaar, and built in 1897. Originally built as a husseiniya, it was partially destroyed in 1909 by enemies of its patron. It was bought in 1912 by Hasan Khan Mu'ini Mu'avin al-Mulk, who renovated it, adding two new components, a zainabiyeh and an abbasiyeh, to the tekkiyya. During the Iran-Iraq war, the building was partially destroyed, and was subsequently renovated post-war. The structure is known for its dramatic and colorful tile mosaic panels, which depict religious stories and their principal religious, historical, and political protagonists.
The three-part takiyya is located six meters below street level; a set of seventeen steep steps connects the building with the street. A small sagha-khaneh is found next to the stairs. The first part of the takiyya, the husseiniya, is an enclosed courtyard surrounded by two-story chambers. The middle part, the zainabiyeh, is a space covered by a two-layered dome. Around the central core beneath the dome are two stories of rooms; the second story is used by women. The last component, the abbasiyeh, is the largest part of the takiyya, and consists of a large interior courtyard bordered on the east by a two-story structure and on the south by an iwan.
All three areas are heavily decorated with tile-work. The round arches of the husseiniya are bordered by a band of turquoise tiles; between these arches and the tile bands are tile mosaic depictions of religious stories. Sections of stucco and mirror-work were also uncovered in this area during the renovation.
In the zainabiyeh, the area covered by the dome is a polygonal space. It is surrounded by walls covered with eighteen plaques of tile-work, also depicting religious stories. Along the upper part of the walls, eight more story plaques and colorful windows rim the base of the dome. Muqarnas squinches enable the transition between the walls and the base of the dome. A wooden minbar stands in one corner of the zeinabiyeh.
Within the abbasiyeh is a two-story iwan. Standing on four thick columns, which are decorated with rows of brick and blue tile in spiral patterns, the iwan is approximately three meters deep. Elevated from ground level, it is reached by climbing eight steps. Its façade is decorated with wooden window arches topped with polychrome tiles arranged in floral patterns. This iwan is bounded on its north by a courtyard containing a small pool and plantings in its center. On the east side of this courtyard is a two-story structure with wooden windows that open to the courtyard.
Behrens-Abouseif, Doris and Stephen Vernoit, eds. Islamic Art in the 19th Century: Tradition, Innovation, And Eclecticism>, 234-235. Leiden, NL: Brill, 2006.