This wikala on Shari' al-Jamaliyya, the first such structure in Cairo, was constructed before 1341/741 AH by the Amir Qawsun and was used by Palestinian soap and coffee merchants during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, thus becoming known as the "Wikala of Soap." It was demolished in the 1960s to make way for a new school building, and only the portal of the original structure remains. This gate was moved slightly north and raised to current ground level when the remainder of the building was demolished. It is a square shape and has a fine blazon in the shape of a cup, as Qawsun was cup-bearer to Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad.
Meinecke, Michael. Islamic Cairo: architectural conservation and urban development of the historic centre : proceedings of a seminar, 39. London: Art and Archaeology Research Papers, 1980.
Warner, Nicholas. The monuments of historic Cairo: a map and descriptive catalogue, 88. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2005.
Wakala of Amir Qawsoun (Variant)
Wikala of Emir Qusun (Variant)
Wikala of Amir Qusun (Variant)
constructed, before 1341/741 AH, demolished, 1960s