The Masjid al-Fakahani (Mosque of the Fruitsellers) was built in 1736/1184 AH by Ahmad Katkhuda al-Kharbutli, an officer of the Janissary corps, on the site of a Fatimid mosque built by the Khalif al-Zafir (r. 1149-1154/543-548 AH) in 1149/543 AH. The Ottoman structure is a roofed courtyard mosque raised above shops. Two pairs of magnificently carved doors have been reused from the Fatimid mosque, along with twelve marble columns in the interior. The panels of the doors are notable examples of Fatimid period woodwork, with twisting designs of leaves and stems.
The mosque was restored by the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA ) in the late 1990s, and the southwestern section of the building has been totally rebuilt.
Warner, Nicholas. The monuments of historic Cairo: a map and descriptive catalogue, 105. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2005.
Williams, Caroline. Islamic monuments in Cairo : the practical guide, 164. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2008.