The foundation is a neighborhood madrasa built in 1479-80 by Abu Bakr ibn Muzhir, the superintendent of the chancery in the reign of Sultan Qaytbay. It is representative of the architectural and decorative styles of the period. The interior follows the qa'a layout, but with the qibla and the opposing iwan both opening onto the covered courtyard through a tripartite portico. The exceptionally fine marble inlay is signed by 'Abd al-Qadir al-Naqqash.
Behrens-Abouseif, Doris. Islamic Architecture in Cairo. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1989.