Still in use today, this shrine complex was built for two companions of the prophet, al-Hakam ibn Amr and Buraydah ibn al-Husayn al-Islami. Two small domed kiosks are framed by two large 'portals' that lead nowhere; placed side by side these shallow iwans serve only as a backdrop 'screen' to the tombs.
The back walls and soffits of the iwans are decorated in hazarbaf glazed brick. Prior to reconstruction in 1916 the kiosks were also clad in revetment.
Golombek, L. and Wilber, D. eds. 1988. The Timurid Architecture of Iran and Turan Princeton: Princeton University Press, 338.