The Saffahiyya Madrasa is located in the Sahat Bizza neighborhood of Aleppo, within the quarter of Saffahiyya, close by the Adiliyya Mosque. It was built in 1424-1425/828 AH at the order of the qadi Ahmad ibn Salih ibn Ahmad al-Saffah, for whom it is named.
The entrance to the madrasa is a grand muqarnas-vaulted portal faced with ablaq stonework and surmounted by a minaret. It is located in the northeastern corner of the building. Visitors pass through the portal onto a long corridor that leads onto the northeastern corner of a rectangular central courtyard. On the north side of the courtyard is a large iwan. The south side is occupied by the prayer hall. The east side is simply a wall and the west gives onto two small rooms.
The prayer hall's mihrab is made of marble and has a muqarnas hood.
Herzfeld, Ernst. Matériaux pour un corpus inscriptionum arabicarum. Part 2: Syrie du nord. Inscriptions et monuments d’Alep, vol. 1, pt. 2, p. 368. Cairo: Institut Français d’archéologie orientale, 1954-1956.